Sunday, March 20, 2011

Falling Star

"Between two worlds life hovers like a star, twixt night and morn, upon the horizon's verge." ~ Lord Byron

Sometimes I feel that my pursuits in life are misguided by romantic notions and childhood dreams; wondering how I can always continually pursue and believe in silly notions of love and peace, especially when life reminds me on a daily basis that these two things are illusions. I began to think of all the awesome theories and laws man has discovered about the universe; one being that nothing is constant. Laws that were true thousands of years ago were usurped by a star falling on an unsuspecting genius, ready to expand our universe with his enlightenment.

...........................................................
Why do I store my dreams in make-believe?
Am I waiting for a star to fall on me?
So that my fiction becomes fact?
The impossible comes to be?

Is this what makes the universe expand?
Heaven and nature breaking their pact?
The impossible comes to be?
So that my fiction becomes fact?

What proof, that natural laws break?
Quantum theory and relativity?
So that my fiction becomes fact?
The impossible comes to be?
...........................................................

5 comments:

  1. I still cling to one or two impossibilities, because I fear that the emptiness from giving up hope would be far worse than the current emptiness of wishing for them. I suppose we all have our fictions (some even call them lies) which we tell ourselves.
    I like this very much...it touches a nerve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss the days when I was so full of hope and optimism. While it may not be realistic, where are we without it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It touches a nerve with me, too. I was the Queen of Denial for many years, but was forced to let it all go, just surrender it to the Universe. I still have to practice that from time to time, but it's getting better all the time (sung to the tune of the Beatles song). :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely poem, lovely site! found you through debra...angel-star

    ReplyDelete
  5. ~li, your comment made me think of the Alice in Wonderland line "Why sometimes, I think of 6 impossible things before breakfast." Don't let them go!
    ~Christine, exactly!
    ~Teresa, I love the Beatles!
    ~ty Angel-Star

    ReplyDelete